CLC Courses as they relate to RCA Commissioned Pastor Competencies
Our CLC courses are designed to address and fully equip for the ten competency expectations of the Reformed Church in America for its Commissioned Pastors. Below is a list of the RCA expected competencies and the CLC courses which address them. A fuller treatment of the nuances of each competency can be found at the RCA website.
Competency 1: Maturity of faith. Demonstrate a mature personal faith in the Triune God
- All CLC Courses address this, through content, process, and Facilitator relationships; in addition, the Mentor relationship with the Participant is absolutely necessary to encourage and monitor this growth.
Competency 2: Personal integrity and call. Demonstrate a life worthy of the gospel, a sense of call to be a Commissioned Pastor, an understanding of that ministry in the Reformed tradition, and a commitment to its responsibilities.
- CLC Course: Church Leadership
Competency 3: Understanding of the Old and New Testaments and biblical interpretation. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the Scripture, commitment to its authority as the Word of God, and insight in its interpretation.
- CLC Courses: Introduction to Biblical Literature I – Old Testament; Introduction to Biblical Literature, II – New Testament
Competency 4: Reformed theology and tradition. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of and commitment to Reformed doctrine, government and worship.
- CLC Courses: Theology I; Theology II; Sacraments and Liturgy
Competency 5: Church history. Demonstrate a working knowledge of the history and teachings of the Christian church, including her government and worship.
- CLC Course: Church History
Competency 6: Knowledge of and adherence to the Constitution of the Reformed Church in America (the Government, the Standards and the Liturgy). Demonstrate a functional understanding and adherence to the government, Standards, and liturgy of the Reformed Church in America.
- CLC Course: RCA Standards; Sacraments and Liturgy; RCA Government
Competency 7: Nature and administration of the sacraments. Demonstrate understanding and skill for the administration of the sacraments that is theologically Reformed and contextually relevant.
- CLC Courses: Sacraments
Competency 8: Ability to preach. Demonstrate understanding and skill to lead worship and preach the gospel.
- CLC Course: Preaching
Competency 9: Understanding of and adherence to pastoral ethics and practices. Demonstrate understanding, skill and compassion in caring for persons and congregations.
- CLC Course: Pastoral Care
Leave a Comment